Making life more colorful is always a good thing and the Flux Smart LED Light Bulb does just that. This smart LED light bulb by Flux Smart Lighting hits the perfect balance between quality, usability, and cost.
Flux Smart LED Light Bulb Review(4.5 / 5)
Flux Bluetooth Smart Bulb 2nd Generation Improvements
The current version of the Bluetooth Flux Smart LED Light Bulb is actually the 2nd generation of Flux light bulb (1st generation available here).
Improvements from the 1st generation include:
- Faster startup, starts up in 0.5 seconds. This is quick for a smart bulb. When you turn your Flux light bulb on you want them on now, not later.
- Sunrise/Sunset modes to help you wake up to simulated natural light.
- Up to 30 minutes transition delays, to smoothly cycle through your custom presets. This also works well for a sleep timer.
- Scene mode, to recreate colors from photos on your smart device. Re-live the memories from your photos.
- Camera mode, use your phone’s camera to act as a color picker.
- Share custom modes with friends via email or SMS.
- Specify RGB color, to be more precise than the color wheel. Choose from 16 million different colors, including various warm and cool whites.
- Built-in memory retains last color or program mode
Flux Light Bulb Smartphone App
The Flux light bulb app known as “Flux Bluetooth” is what really makes this smart LED light bulb shine (forgive the terrible pun). Flux Bluetooth allows you to perform functions like:
- Turn your lights on and off
- Adjust brightness levels
- Assign lights to different groups (rooms), or control them individually
- Select from 20 pre-programmed colors and save custom colors
- Set up timers (including Sunrise/Sunset)
- Sync your lights to music
The Sunrise/Sunset modes provide similar functionality to that of a Wake-Up Light, but for a fraction of the price. Waking up to a room that was gradually filled with light before your alarm went off is a fantastic way to start your morning. This is especially true for dark, winter mornings.
Up to 50 lights can be controlled with Flux Bluetooth. Flux Bluetooth uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect your smart LED light bulb to your smart devices. Supported devices include:
- Android 4.3 or above
- iPhone 4S or above
- iPad 3 or above (including iPad Air and iPad Mini)
Flux Smart LED Technical Specifications
- 20,000 hour life
- 40W incandescent equivalent
- 7W LED
- 85 to 260 volts supported
- E26 base type
- 109mm bulb length
- Connect up to 50 Flux smart bulbs
A 7W LED will result in about an 80% cost savings over a comparable incandescent bulb. Not to mention it will last much longer than an incandescent.
The aforementioned wake up mode is an excellent feature that I feel will be mostly overlooked.
The wide range of colors can help set the mood while entertaining or hosting a party. A dim red light is excellent before bedtime, to reduce the energy boosting effect created by blue light.
The Flux Smart LED Light Bulb is not compatible with Amazon Echo or Google Home. An Amazon Alexa or Google Home compatible alternative would be the Philips 464495 Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 or the WiFi version of the Flux light for Amazon Echo only.
The Flux LED Light Bulb can seem dim to some users. I recommend purchasing at least 2 or 3 for a larger room.
Bluetooth range is 30ft. (Not an issue for the WiFi version)
No Windows Phone app.
Flux Smart LED Light Bulb Installation
Installing the Flux Smart LED Light Bulb is no harder than replacing a normal incandescent bulb. Another advantage of the Flux LED bulb is that it does not require a hub like some, more expensive LED smart bulbs that cost twice as much.Available Here
(Image and video credit: Flux Smart Lighting)